Tuesday, September 4, 2018

Looking backwards can be like looking ahead.

Something that is lacking on the Arizona Southern are "B" Units of any kind. We have FA-2's but no FB's. The cost has been the main factor, why pay for a cabless booster when for the same funds we can acquire a RS-11 or C-425? 

Still not having any B Units looks funny in a way as to my thinking, we'd have some cast-off FB's at some point, right? Well, as luck might have it TRAINWORLD was having a sale on powered Alco FB's at what I'd call swap meet pricing, so the bean counters opted to get a pair in the mail traveling our way; both for about the cost of regular unit, and that includes delivery.

I know, someday I'll have to sound chip these and get em painted. Of course I can test em using DC for a while as the new switching layout becomes a reality. The FB-2 Units are finally arriving, another day or two and they should be here. Nothing like foisting a cabless unit on a local to help complicate the switching chores; but it will look cool at least.

Looking back at what we were missing, and waiting for the proper moment payed off. We're learning that if you are the first in line for something, you'll pay for that privilege. I decided to get a couple of "B" Units a few years back, but they were around a "C" note in cost apiece delivered, I paid a quarter of that amount by waiting like I did. All too often I jump on an item and then see it 9 months later selling at half what I paid for the thing, and mine is still in the box awaiting a place to run; sheesh! So unless it's a fast moving "bucket list" type of item, the AZSO will be biding its time as to purchasing things that will be peripheral to the layout as a whole. A much wiser man said it a few hundred years ago; "A penny saved is a penny earned."  And that was when a penny actually could buy something.

Thanks for reading this far, leave a note if the mood strikes you. Enjoy your trains!


No comments:

Post a Comment